Tuesday 4 March 2014

Helen Mary's first Purely Pilates experience

The Beginning of my Journey with Purely Pilates

I was recently diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome which was a little shocking to me, although in some ways, it was also a huge relief. For longer than I can remember I have been having back problems, randomly spraining my wrists and knees for no reason and I felt tired all the time. Finally I knew what was actually wrong with me but sadly there is no cure or quick fix. I was surprised that, despite the many medical advancements, I was 'prescribed' Pilates and told that if I didn’t make it a part of my life I would be riddled with arthritis by the time I reached 40. There is nothing like a large dose of reality to shock you into doing something. I had heard of Pilates but didn’t really know much about it, I thought that it was similar to yoga but didn't really have a clue. A friend of mine recommended Purely Pilates so I gave them a call and had a lovely conversation with Karen. I didn't feel like just a number, like I did at the gym. I felt that she wanted to know about my problem and was going to help me find a solution.

I booked a one to one session so she could assess me and help me find the right kind of Pilates because it was all really confusing to me. Reformer, equipment, mat-work..... it may as well have been a foreign language.

On the day I felt apprehensive and if I'm honest I felt a little anxious as I often do when trying new things. I felt the acid rising in my throat as I tried to busy myself before the class. When I arrived there, I was buzzed in and as I climbed the stairs to the studio I still had no idea what to expect.  As I waited for Karen to finish her class I noticed another class finishing and woman clearly in their sixties, bending over and putting on their shoes with the ease of a teenager.  Pilates was obviously helping them stay supple and it gave me hope for my future. 

After filling out a form, Karen took me to a studio and we discussed my problems and how she could try to help me.  We went through exercises to try to strengthen my core and she was constantly adjusting the exercises to cater for my ability and to factor in my hypermobility and my carpal tunnel which I also have at the moment.  She made me feel totally at ease and all my previous anxiety very quickly dissipated.  It was such a lovely relaxed environment and felt like a real haven away from work and the children.  I was given homework to do and booked into a group class which I will throw myself into whole heartedly.

I came away feeling relaxed and positive and I am so looking forward to starting my course of classes.  My outlook is suddenly a lot brighter and I know that 2014 will be the year I help myself to live a life with fewer injuries.  
Thanks
 
Helen Mary, Hove


www.mostlytalkingtomyself.wordpress.com

6 comments:

  1. How is yoga different than Pilates?
    Pilates

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit here and I’m fully satisfying to read the whole thing at one place.

    Pilates teacher training Mission Viejo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post and good to know about your experience with pilates classes. Pilates has boomed in popularity over the last few years due to it's many benefits.

    Pilates Group Classes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty interesting post and an interesting one to learn about your pilates class experience. In the past few years Pilates has boomed in popularity thanks to its many benefits.
    Reigate Pilates

    ReplyDelete